- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed)
- 2 filets mignon (1-inch thick)
- Salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons mushroom duxelles
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Filets are often irregular in shape. If yours are, use a piece of kitchen twine to tie them into a round.
- Season filets generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and swirl in pan to melt.
- Cook the filets on both sides for about 3 minutes until well-browned, then brown the edges. Regularly check the internal temperature of the filets. They should not be cooked past 120 F at the center because they will continue to cook in the oven (see the note below).
- Allow filets to cool, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Make the mushroom duxelles*
- Spread the mushrooms over the filets.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash.
- Wrap the filets in puff pastry.
- Brush with egg wash, place on a sheet pan and bake in the center of the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.